Imagine a story without a villain. Really easy right? Here’s an example: A princess is in a tower. How did she get there without a villain? Did she lock herself in? C’mon why would she do that? So a prince comes to rescue her and then they ride away. Wow. That’s boring. Where’s the dragon? Where’s the evil queen? Villains are really important in stories. Without them there’s basically no story at all. Villains are even needed in titles. Would you want to read the Princess Who Locked Herself Away?
How does someone become a villain? Usually before they’re just regular people enjoying their regular lives but then something bad happens to them, they are power hungry or just plain crazy. Every villain has one thing in common … REVENGE!!! This means that every super villain wants to get back at someone.
Here are some of my favourite super villains:
- Venom – He is a photographer from Spider-man 3 who becomes infected with an alien-type goo that encourages him to have lots of bad feelings like jealousy, anger, vainness, and vengeance. He wanted to get back at Peter Parker for getting him fired.
- The Joker – He is from Batman Forever and Dark Night and he’s just plain crazy. He wants to have ultimate power and rule the Earth.
- Mr. Freeze – He is a scientist in Batman & Robin who had an accident in his lab when he was trying to cure his wife from being sick. Another villain scientist named Poison Ivy told him that Batman was responsible for his wife’s death so he wanted revenge.
- Megatron – He’s Optimus Prime’s brother in Transformers He’s power hungry and is willing to destroy every thing in his way even Optimus.
- Darth Vader – He’s truly Anakin Skywalker the Jedi Knight in Star Wars. He was tricked by the Emperor to turn evil to save the person he loved, but she died anyway which made him want revenge on the Jedi. He was badly burned so Emperor Palpatine created a special suit that allowed him to breathe and stay alive. He became known as Darth Vader when he was inside the suit.
Who is your favourite villain? And why do you love them?
image: Joker by Meet The Chumbeques released under a CC Attribution – No Derivative Works license