The Lightning Thief is an awesome book to read. It is full of adventure, humour, supernatural forces, mythical monsters and action. I highly recommend it.
Normally movie trailers don’t need an explanation, but this is a book trailer assignment and to prove I know a lot about the story it’s important for me to explain why I chose the pictures that I did. Using Flickr, I searched for Creative Commons photographs that matched the main characters and events. Here is a description of the characters that I was looking for. See if you can match the descriptions to the right photo in my trailer.
- Percy – A teen with short brown hair who looks young but also troubled. His life is not exactly perfect.
- Grover – An older teen with curly brown hair that has a secret. He is truly a satyr and Percy’s protector, so shhhh.
- Annabeth – A blonde teenage girl who has freckles and a welcoming smile. She is Athena’s daughter and someone Percy has come to trust.
- Luke – The son of Hermes, messenger of the gods and God of Thieves, is a jealous person. He has a goal to become the best at Camp Half-blood, but Percy comes along and he’s already the best without any training. He pretends to help Percy, but really wants to get rid of him. Look for a teenage boy with blonde hair and a “you should be gone look” about him.
- Ares – He is the God of War. He rides a Harley Davidson motorcycle and looks really tough. When he first meets Percy he is nice and helps them, but it starts to look like Ares has another plan and he might not be the guy they think he is. Percy can’t really trust him.
- Mrs. Dodds – She is an older lady and a math teacher at Yancy Academy for Troubled Kids which is where Percy has to go to school because he has been kicked out of everywhere else in New York. She is short, has short hair and always wears a leather jacket. Her jacket is really the bottom pair of Fury wings and Percy is in danger around her.
- The Minotaur – This is Percy’s first monster. He has the head of an ox and the torso of a man. He has a tail and hooves for feet. He is extremely large and dangerous. Because Mrs. Dodds failed he was sent to eliminate Percy before he got to Camp Half-blood.
- Charon – He is like the grim reaper, but instead of a scythe he has a paddle and a passenger ferry boat. His job is to take the dead across the River Styx to the underworld. Percy will need him to get into the underworld confront Hades.
- Medusa – She is monster called a Gorgon. She was once beautiful but then she was cursed by Athena to have serpents for hair so that anyone gazing at her beauty would turn to stone. She has a deadly stare. Percy will need to go through Medusa to continue his quest.
- Hades – He is the God of the Underworld and a brother of Zeus. He is not happy about being the God of the Dead and wants Percy’s skeleton to lead his army to overthrow the Gods. Percy needs him to find the lightning bolt that he was accused of stealing. In my book trailer I chose to show him as the fire that surrounds him in the underworld.
If you can figure them out let me know or let me know how many you think you know. The Lightning Thief is book one in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. They are all incredible books that I have really enjoyed reading. Next time you are in the library look for them because I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.